Monday, November 17, 2008

No Eggs!

Landon turned 1 on September 23rd and we had a big party for him.  A girl that I went to High School with made two amazing cakes for us but, Landon did not want any of the cake.  He cried after one bite and would not take anymore.  

Beautiful cakes!


I don't like it mom!


We thought it was very strange because before that he would eat anything and he loved sweets.  So, I cleaned him up and passed him off to dad.  About 5 minutes later Rob brought him to me and showed me this rash that had developed in places the cake/icing had touched.  We gave him some medicine and it went away.  We told his pediatrician and she had us get him tested for food allergies.  To our surprise he is very allergic to eggs (enough to have an EpiPen) and slightly allergic to milk.  Since then we have had to cut out all egg products and anything that is made on machines that also process egg products.  Rob and I are not allergic to anything so it is very strange to have to check every label and ask at every restaurant.  I never realized how many things contain eggs or are made on machines that also make egg products.  My poor baby will never get cookies, cake, donuts, french toast, Chinese food, Olive Garden, and tons of other things.  It is so sad because he sees us eating things that he can't have and he get mad because we won't give it too him.  Hopefully, in the next few years he will out grow this allergy because he is missing out on really good food. Until then I guess I will be searching the Internet and health food stores for egg less products.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor guy! There is a little boy in my kids preschool class that is allergic to eggs. He does really well with ti (he is 3) and it doesn't seem to bother him too much that everyone else is eating something different. I hope Landon grows out of it! Who made the cakes? They are beautiful!!